The Young’s Brewery has been a familiar local landmark for both Wandsworth residents and visitors for over 150 years. Opened in 1831, the site has contributed much to the borough’s social and historic fabric.
In 1831, Charles Allen Young and his partner Anthony Fothergill Bainbridge bought the Ram Brewery site. The new partnership suffered a serious setback in 1832 when a disastrous fire destroyed most of the brewhouse, but it was quickly rebuilt and in 1835 a new beam engine was erected inside the brewery. It is thought to be the oldest working beam engine of its kind in the world still in working condition and in its original location. It and its sister engine built in 1867, provided steam power in the brewery right up until 1976.
In 1883 another fire, started in the offices, caused extensive damage to part of the brewery and the Ram Inn. Both were rebuilt the following year.
A number of animals were resident in the brewery, including a ram, a number of geese and about a dozen working draught horses.
It is claimed that the Ram Brewery was the oldest British brewery in continuous operation. At its closure in 2006, the brewery was a mix of ancient and ultra-modern plant and horses and drays were still used for local deliveries of beer within a mile or two of the brewery.
The Ram Brewery officially closed on 25th September 2006 but the heritage of the site remains central to our proposals.
Write to us at:
Public Consultation Cascade
419 Linen Hall
162-168 Regent Street